SPARC provides an opportunity for individuals with disabilities to participate in cycling along the beautiful Tennessee River. Hand cycles, tandem bikes, and three-wheeled bikes are available for individuals who have physical and visual disabilities. Outdoor Chattanooga also brings their bike fleet for additional support. Depending on the type of cycle needed, participants will have to sign the liability waiver and be approved by the specific group that owns the cycle. The cost is free. Equipment is limited and pre-registration is required.
Minimum Requirements for the Safety of Adaptive Cycling Participants
- Must have the cognitive ability to follow directions and instructions.
- Must be able to apply the brakes and come to a complete stop by the end of the first day of participation.
- Must be able to ride independently on the path with a volunteer by the third day of participation.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) must be one year post injury.
- Must not have medical issues which could endanger the participant, including seizures.
- Approved helmets must be worn by all riders.
- Participants, or guardians for participants under the age of 18, must sign liability release forms from SPARC, a Chapter of DSUSA.